Thursday, June 28, 2012

The Benefits of Exploring New Places While Running

By: Greg Payne



I didn't feel like running very fast last night. Whether it was the rigors of the day, my achy calves, or the threat of a sudden rain storm, I just wasn't in my usual Gung-ho mood about running. But I still wanted to get my miles in.

That's when I remembered a portion of my run from Tuesday, when I ran by this street a few short miles from my house. I had never been up that street in my life, despite always having been within a relatively close proximity to it. And then I thought of the other, similar, streets that weren't far away from that one that I had never been down before. I had never been down these, either. So I came to the conclusion that I would explore these different streets and tucked-away neighborhoods. Because sometimes that's what running is best for. You find reasons to explore places that you wouldn't normally see when you're driving in your car, because, typically, you're always going from Point A to Point B in the most efficient manner possible.

We typically get in the habit of laying out certain routes when we run, and we stick to those like they're the fire escape routes for our schools or offices. We don't dare veer from what we know will work. But running need not be an endeavor of repetitiveness down the same streets, roads, and trails. Running means being in control of your body, and being able to dictate where you send yourself is one of the best things about the sport.

Last night I explored that street, and several others just like it. There was nothing remarkable about them. They housed nice, but not elaborate, homes, many with inground pools and decent-sized yards. These neighborhoods were probably well-regarded for how tucked away they seemed, secluded, pushed back from the busier roads and highways. A 7-year old mastering a bike could feel safe riding along these streets. I don't think I saw a single car driving on any of these roads, and if I did, it wasn't motoring along at a high enough rate of speed to draw my attention. Overall, it was an uneventful visit to these neighborhoods, aside from a very intense stare-down with a German Shepherd that I felt wanted to rip my throat out...But it ran inside, instead. I won.



And because I didn't feel like running fast last night, I slogged right along, at a noticeably slower, yet very comfortable, pace. I plodded up hills and jogged down the side streets, and it was nice because I was thinking like an explorer, not a runner. Running was simply my vehicle. I was obtaining the usual physical benefits, but I was doing so almost subconsciously, because my mind was focused almost entirely on which streets I wanted to run down, and how they might connect to other streets that I was already familiar with. Not focusing on the running part of the run made it a very calm and relaxing trek along the roads. Not worrying about pace, time, or even distance, gave both my mind and body a needed relief.

I don't think we can afford to lose sight of running giving us these types of benefits and reliefs. I consider myself very fortunate in that my job does not require rigorous eight-hour days in an office, but sometimes I have to travel and deal with traffic and write against a ridiculous deadline. So, sure, there are some longer, more stressful days, and yesterday was one of them. We ALL have long days every once in a while. Some of us probably deal with them more than others. But last night reminded me of how exercise -- in this case running -- can be a relief and not a daily necessity.

I'm weird in that I love to run. Most people don't share my passion, and I understand why.  But sometimes it helps to do what I did last night. Just go out on a run, establish early on that you won't be trying to set any personal bests with pace or time, and just run around. Don't be like TLC and stick to the rivers and the lakes that you're used to. Find new places to explore, even if its the new, recently-completed development less than a mile down the road. Run through it and then pop back out onto the main drag and go find the next one. Because I'm willing to bet that when you're on your way home from work today, you'll pass by dozens of streets and roads that you've never been down. And all of them are close enough to your house for you to explore while out on a run.

Try it. I triple-dog dare you. Explore, relax, unwind. But always run. Run the disappointments and hardships of the day right out of your mind.



gregpayne0@gmail.com
@Greg_Payne

No comments:

Post a Comment